The federal government has rolled out the programme for the conferment of national honours on the late Chief Moshood Abiola, winner of the annulled June 12, 1993 presidential election, his running mate Ambassador Baba Gana Kingibe and the late human rights activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi.
The event is scheduled for Tuesday in Abuja less than a week after government announced the declaration of June 12 as Nigeria’s Democracy Day in remembrance of the election adjudged as the fairest ever in Nigeria’s history and its intention to confer honours on the three men.
Abiola will be honoured with the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR), while Fawehinmi and Kingibe will receive the Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, in a statement said the event will take place at the Conference Hall, State House, Aso Rock Villa, Abuja.
He said: “Accordingly, Ambassador Babagana Kingibe, the family of the late Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola and that of Chief Gani Fawehinmi, along with the underlisted key players of June 12 struggle are cordially invited:
- Members of the National Executive Committee of the SDP including States Chairmen and Secretaries at the time of June 12, 1993
- Governors elected under SDP platform
- Former Senate Presidents – Iyorchia Ayu and Ameh Ebute and Speaker Agunwa Anekwe along with Principal Officers of the National Assembly elected under SDP platform
- Speakers of the States Assembly elected under SDP platform
- All Chairmen of the States Traditional Councils from the six South-Western States
- Prof. Wole Soyinka
- Mr. Femi Falana, SAN
- Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- Chief Bisi Akande
- Ms. Ayo Obe
- Bayo Onanuga – The News
- Kunle Ajibade – Tempo
- Nosa Igiebor – Tell
- Kayode Komolafe – Media Hope 93
- Senator Janathan Zwingina – DG Hope 93
- Comrade Frank Ovie Kokori
- Prof. Humphrey Nwosu
“Also invited are Senate President, Bukola Saraki, Speaker Yakubu Dogora, Principal Officers of the National Assembly, Members of the Federal Executive Council and all State Governors.
“Accommodation has been reserved for all invitees at the NICON Luxury Hotel, Tafawa Balewa Way, area 11, Garki, Abuja from Monday, 11th June 2018. For further inquiries please contact William Alo, Permanent Secretary, Special Duties Office, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation by telephone on +234 803 585 4332.
“Invitation letters have been despatched. However, should the invitation arrive late, this publication serves as a formal invitation. The Nation